Thanks all for the answers.

On 03/10/2015 03:27 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Petr Vobornik wrote:
In ipa migrate-ds we also set the group to all users who are not member
of anything. Why is it important for a user to be a member of a group?

Every POSIX user needs a default GID. We don't create user-private
groups for migrated users.

How should default GID be set during migration? IMHO there are two issues:

1. ipausers group is not a POSIX group. Which, btw, also creates this nice issue:
  $ ipa user-add fbar --noprivate
  First name: Foo
  Last name: Bar
  ipa: ERROR: Default group for new users is not POSIX

2. migrated users have to be POSIX therefore they have gidnumber and migrate-ds checks for its presence. But the command doesn't do anything with the GID number later even if the group doesn't exist nor in a step where default group is set. Therefore, default group, even if POSIX, would not work for this use case(set default GID number).

Q: Is it expected that user private groups will be migrated? (e.g. for migration from other FreeIPA instance). If not, then there would be a lot of users without a private group with the same GID number as UID number.

Q: Why don't we allow to create user private group? What would be better if migrating from FreeIPA instance: migrate private groups or create new private groups using Managed Entries plugin?
--
Petr Vobornik