Dne 9.4.2015 v 09:45 Petr Vobornik napsal(a):
On 04/09/2015 09:35 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 04/09/2015 09:16 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Dne 8.4.2015 v 16:44 Martin Kosek napsal(a):
On 03/20/2015 05:00 PM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
On 03/20/2015 04:16 PM, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 20.3.2015 15:51, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 09:58 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 14:38 +0100, Martin Kosek wrote:

Correct. I see 2 approaches here:

a) Thin client, which simply downloads metadata from the (old)
server and won't
use unsupported commands/parameters
b) Not-so-thin client that knows the minimal API versions of
commands/parameters (can be annotated in the code), that would
ping the server
first to identify it's version, validate that the chosen set of
commands/parameters is supported on that server and then send the
commands with
that version.

If we have a recognizable error the client can take an optimistic
approach, send the command normally, if it gets an error that the
server does not understand it, it checks the version in the reply
and falls back to an older "baseline" version of the command (if
possible) or bails out with an error.

My understanding was that:

1. We already publish all the information necessary to implement a
thin client, and have for some time.
We certainly have *some* data but real thin client will most
likely require
some changes. Some information like return types and so on are
missing.

2. Thus, the thin client would work on both new and old versions
since
it just simply translates from user input into JSON/XML.

3. Only plugins with specific client behavior would need to be
ported
to the thin client. A prime example of this is otptoken-add-yubikey.

My preference is solidly for implementing the thin client first.
Once
we have decoupled the client from the current plugin framework,
server-
side changes can be made in isolation. This decoupling is the move
that is essentially necessary to provide proper API versioning.
And if
this can't land for 4.2, land it in the next release. I'd rather do
API-stability correctly and a release later than rushed with
compromises. We have to live with this forever.
+ all votes I have :-)

+1

Ok. So to sum up this thread (and do the actual changes in Trac), in
FreeIPA
4.2, we would:

1) Prepare the API UI browser or generated API documentation so that
people
could finally see the existing API without having to read the code
or inspect
jquery sent by the Web UI.

This is not related to API compatibility, it just uses the same
metadata.

It is not related to API compatibility per se, but very related to
better API
consumption and a low hanging fruit we could start with, since we have
the
metadata already

+1

2) Have option for the ipa tool to send version-less command to the
server
which should thus behave as if it is the same version. Bonus points
if defaults
are not filled in this case to prevent unrecoverable Unkown Option
errors.

Not sending version and not computing defaults are very different
things and
their implemetantion will be very different too. I would not mix them
together.

We are now getting more in the design, but the idea was that sending the
defaults may force server to refuse serving the command even if the
caller did
not explicitly requested that option. Even if the caller did not care
about the
new default option in 4.x, he would not be able to call the command as
it would
be always sent to the old server.

+1 that not sending defaults is essential for this case. IMHO we should
not send them at all.

I agree with that, I'm just saying it won't be as simple as it sounds and certainly not as simple as not sending the version.

Rest would be left for later releases. Please holler if there is
disagreement
with this plan.

I agree with Nathaniel that we should do thin client ASAP.

I agree too, but given it is not realistic for 4.2, we need to do at
least
something in 4.2 for projects which need to use the CLI against older
versions.

Skipping version and client defaults seemed as the low hanging fruit
that could
help them. If there is a better idea about what else can be done in
4.2, I am
open to it.

Jan Cholasta