On 22.4.2015 16:08, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Jan Cholasta wrote:
>> Dne 22.4.2015 v 09:05 Petr Spacek napsal(a):
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> looking at freeipa-users list, following kind of conversation is quite
>>> common:
>>>
>>> user: 'IPA reports an internal error, what should I do?'
>>> dev: 'see HTTPd error log on the IPA server'
>>> user: 'what server?'
>>> dev: 'enable debugging on client and see which server was contacted'
>>>

>>> Can we make InternalError more useful and eliminate this kind of
>>> ping-pong?
>>>
>>> Looking at sources:
>>> $ git grep 'class .*InternalError'
>>> ipalib/errors.py:class InternalError(PublicError):
>>> ipalib/errors.py:class ServerInternalError(PublicError):
>>>
>>> $ git grep ServerInternalError
>>> ipalib/errors.py:class ServerInternalError(PublicError):
>>> ipalib/errors.py:    >>> raise
>>> ServerInternalError(server='https://localhost')
>>> ipalib/errors.py:    ServerInternalError: an internal error has
>>> occurred on
>>> server at 'https://localhost'
>>>
>>> Apparently somebody was thinking about it in the past but
>>> ServerInternalError
>>> is not used anywhere.
>>>
>>> How hard would it be to translate InternalError on client side to
>>> ServerInternalError with appropriate server name?
>>>
>>> Can we extend InternalError with text like this?
>>> 'See httpd error log on server %s for more details.'
>>>
>>> Does it make sense? Should I open a ticket about this?
>>>

>> It's a good idea.
>
> I don't know. How many people ask about CA install failures without
> looking into /var/log/*-install.log even though it states within just a
> few lines of output this is where all the logging goes?

Right, it is relatively simple if it happens during installation. The problem
is that InternalError does not happen only during installation. It can happen
at any client at any time.

What specific information from the proposed text 'See httpd error log on
server %s for more details.' can do some harm?

Petr^2 Spacek