Dne 11.5.2015 v 15:56 Martin Kosek napsal(a):
On 05/11/2015 03:50 PM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Dne 11.5.2015 v 15:34 Martin Kosek napsal(a):
On 05/11/2015 03:18 PM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Dne 6.5.2015 v 09:29 Martin Kosek napsal(a):
Hello,

as already discussed in December [1], we will need to implement domain levels
in FreeIPA 4.2 to make sure we can manage the replication agreement by
Topology
plugin.

I created a ticket for this feature [3] and linked it with Simo's design. The
proposed scope for the feature is written in the ticket itself. Tomas
agreed he
would work on this.

The first consumer is Ludwig's topology plugin. Seeing Ludwig's initial
patches
[4], I suspect he chose a different format (major/minor) for the domain level
value, but as we discussed in [2], it will rather be a numerical value, raised
only when needed. This is something for Tomas and Ludwig to coordinate
together.

I am not sure if Custodia work will need this, maybe the new
ipa-replica-install would just check if Custodia is there or not and not
decide
on Domain Levels... we will see.

The design page does not list the actual API, but I expect it to be very
simple
for now, maybe just

$ ipa domainlevel-show
$ ipa domainlevel-raise NUMBER

I would think

$ ipa domain-show
$ ipa domain-set-level NUMBER

because "domain level" does not sound like an object, but rather a "level"
property of a "domain" object.

I think the point here was that the Domain Level is a separate LDAP object with
just that value. So the naming seemed pretty self-explanatory and consistent
to me.

That seems to me like an implementation detail rather than something against
which to model the API. (Come on, singleton object with a single property?)

IIRC, that was the point. To have this value in a single LDAP object without
other settings, so that components can simply "watch" this object or have
syncrepl on it, without receiving false positives (as they would have with for
example "config-*" object).

OK, so it indeed is just an implementation detail - if it was possible to watch just a single attribute of an entry, it could be stored in more meaningful location, but it's not, so it can't.

With using just "domain-*" we are blocking ourselves for the time when real
"Domain" object shows up.

I don't see why it should.

Anyway, I don't have a strong opinion on this, except I like "set" better than
"raise".

I liked the raise more as it does not give people the hopes that domain level
can be lowered once it was raised :-)

I like "set" because it is very explicit - "raise" not so much, it might mean "raise to specific value" or "raise by specific value" and maybe other things.