Hey, Freeipa-devel,

I'm working on ticket #3226 (https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3226)

I've identified the problem. The sudorules add user command adds the user validations at the end of it's pre-callback using add_external_pre_callback. However, the "user" plugin pattern-matches a string for the "uid" param, because it only allows certain characters.

I've been picking through the codebase and I think I have enough understanding to ask this: What if we changed the user "uid" validation to a standalone "rule" function (you can do that, right? pass in a function as a validation rule?) that would normally just assert that the pattern matches, but could have that pattern matching validation overridden in some cases. I think that's the easiest, cleanest way to change user so that sudorules and other plugins can ignore this validation if necessary (I'm trying to figure out exactly how to implement this without changing any APIs).

Am I understanding the plugin params API correctly, and can I do this? Is this the best way to do this?

The only other solution I see is to write sudorules-specific code in some plugin-related (either user.py or baseldap.py module, which would create unwanted coupling.

Most specifically, this would be a change to the object instantiated at ipalib/plugins/user.py line 467

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks,

Drew Erny
de...@redhat.com