I confirm every point of this.

On 06/03/2015 11:37 AM, Martin Babinsky wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have been playing with the topology related patches and I have encountered a few issues that I would like to address in this thread:

1.) When replica install for whatever reason crashes _after_ the setup of replication agreements etc., it leaves the topology plugin with dangling segment pointing to the dysfunctional node. An attempt to delete it leads to:

"""
ipa: ERROR: Server is unwilling to perform: Removal of Segment disconnects topology.Deletion not allowed.
"""
Furthermore, any attempts to delete a segment (even a properly setup one) lead to the same very error.

And you cannot reinstall the crashed replica because it complains about existing replication agreements. It would probably help to be able to force-remove the segments if one of the endpoints doesn't exist/respond.

2.) I was not able to figure out a way remove replica from the topology without explosions or tampering 'cn=masters,cn=ipa,cn=etc,$SUFFIX'. Obviously ipa-replica-manage del doesn't work anymore (I have tried just for fun, it leads to SIGSEGV of the host's dirsrv and leaves dangling segments to offending replica, leading to point 1).

I managed to remove replica from the topology only by directly uninstalling FreeIPA on the node and then deleting its' host entry from 'cn=masters'. Only after this was the plugin able to automagically removed the segments pointing to/from removed node.

The design page suggests that it should be enough to uninstall IPA server on the replica. The plugin would then pick-up the dangling segments and remove them automatically. However, this behavior seems to require additional modification of the uninstall procedure (e.g. the uninstalling replica should remove its' entry from cn=masters).

3.) It seems that the removal of topology suffixes containing functioning segments is not handled well. I once tried to do this and it led to segmentation fault on the dirsrv instance. What is the expected behavior in this scenario?

--
Oleg Fayans
Quality Engineer