On 06/16/2015 02:29 PM, Drew Erny wrote:
Hi, All,

I'm using the IPA Python API to write the Community Portal. Most of the documentation for using the IPA Python API is targeted a plugin authors, and this isn't a plugin for (what I think are) good reasons. I'm doing

    # in the main program
    import api from ipalib
    api.bootstrap(context="client")
    api.finalize()
    api.Backend.rpcclient.connect()

    # and then, inside of a separate class
    api.Command.stageuser_add(...)

Which is how doc/examples/python-api.py shows it.

However, calling api.Command.stageuser_add(...) causes
    AttributeError: No context.rpcclient_... in thread 'Thread-1'

I think this is probably related to the fact that I haven't configured my program to connect to any particular IPA server, because before the program errors out, it prints:
    ipa: INFO: Forwarding 'stageuser_add' to json server 'None'

If the problem is the lack of a target server, as I suspect, how would I configure the program to connect to a particular IPA server? If this isn't caused by that, what could the causes be?

I think this may be a bug. Even after doing ipa-client-install and following exactly the guide outlined in this email (https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2012-June/msg00334.html) I still get the same error. I've poked around in the code around this, though, and if it is a bug then I might need help because it's WAY deep in the FreeIPA internals.

Also, forgot to mention, all of the ellipses (...) in the code in the first email are elided code, not literal ellipses.