Yeah, user creation requires manual intervention; an admin has to move the user from staging to the main user tree.

It could be pretty easily modified to allow totally automated self sign-up though

I'm pretty excited about this.

As I see it right now user creation requires manual intervention. Is this
correct?

Is it possible to have a fully automated process where a token is generated and
mailed to the user to verify their email address?