On Thu, 30 Jul 2015, Milan Kubík wrote:
Hi all,

I'm curious, is there some documentation of the IPA internals?

During my playing with plugins, I was quite amazed and frustrated
at the code, not entirely (or remotely) understanding what happens
after the call to a command starts and before I get the result.

The main problem I have is that the command takes an argument.
This argument gets automagically into LDAP, where it quite often is
an attribute with a different name, and as the output of the command
I get an object that has yet another name for the value I just sent
to the command.

Is there some (easy to understand) guide how this works, complete with
the callback mechanism, etc?

In general, where to search for $SUBJ and who to bug when it is missing
or out of date? I know there is quite extensive tutorial to writing plugins in ipalib/__init__.py, but nowhere there are pre/post operation callbacks explained nor the format of the command output described (that I know of).
Is there some guide that could even a newcomer use to get started?

Can you point me to some documentation or designs for the framework itself,
if it exists?
Did you read my (outdated) guide already?
https://abbra.fedorapeople.org/freeipa-extensibility.html

It is first link in the
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Documentation#Additional_Resources_2 section
Thanks, I will take a look at that. :)