On 17.9.2015 15:02, Milan Kubík wrote:
On 09/17/2015 02:51 PM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 17.9.2015 14:08, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Martin Kosek wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 09/17/2015 01:47 PM, Tomas Babej wrote:
Hi fellow developers,

more or less we tend to stick to the tradition of linking Trac
tickets
to the commit messages of the patches we send to the list.

However, every now and then, a patch lands on the list, which is
either
linked to a BZ or does not contain any link at all. Admittedly, I am
also guilty of this mishap. This poses certain problems, as we're
trying
to automate the bookkeeping and pushing-related processes with
ipatool [1].

Nevertheless, this useful habit is not formally agreed upon by
developers nor documented in our wiki [2]. I'd suggest we add it
there,
if we come to such consensus.

This would mean:
* Patches fixing an issue described only in BZ (rare issue) would
need
to create a Trac ticket referencing the BZ

+1

* Patches fixing an issue not tracked in Trac nor BZ would need to
file
a ticket in Trac and reference it

I am not sure we are there yet. For typos and small fixes, I do not
think we
need to create a hard requirement for a Trac ticket. But for patches
that you
want to be considered for say backports to downstream releases, it
is better to
have the ticket with the right metadata and collection of the right
hashes that
the downstream release can digest.
Yes, please do a ticket per a changeset.

Are you agreeing now to me, i.e. do not require tickets for trivial
fixes or to
Tomas' proposal - require ticket for *all* patches?
I think we should have tickets for reasonable pieces of work. The
problem is always in identifying what does 'reasonable' mean. A
single-line fix may be an important CVE fix or a key to an important
bugfix. Still, there should be a context to fit, thus a ticket.

Speaking as IPA package maitainer in RHEL, I would like to have ticket
link in every commit in maintenance branches. If a commit goes to the
master branch only, I'm OK with it not having a ticket link. So that's
where I would draw the line - if a commit goes into a maintenance
branch, it is a reasonable piece of work.

Hi,

in general, which ticket should be referenced from a commit that
implements tests? It can happen that the tests cover a set of tickets.
What should we do then?

I would think file a new ticket with component set to "Tests" and reference it in the commit.

Cheers,
Milan

--
Jan Cholasta