On 09/17/2015 04:47 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 03:55:35PM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
Speaking as IPA package maitainer in RHEL, I would like to have ticket
link in every commit in maintenance branches. If a commit goes to the
master branch only, I'm OK with it not having a ticket link. So that's
where I would draw the line - if a commit goes into a maintenance branch,
it is a reasonable piece of work.
Good suggestion, thanks. We actually have the same with Samba -- *any*
backport to released branches requires a new bug to be opened and
mentioned in the commit message.

Seems reasonable for SSSD as well..

Two questions:
     1) If you backport from a non-maintenance branch to a maintenance
        branch, do you also move the ticket? IOW, do you also expect the
        list of changes to be visible in track, or do you only care about
        'auditing' of each commit?

This cases happens rarely in FreeIPA upstream. Usually the patch is directly developed for a maintenance branch and all branches after that. E.g. a patch for 4.1.5 would go to ipa-4-1, ipa-4-2 and master branch. It would be in FreeIPA 4.1.5 milestone. Commits for each branch are recorded in the ticket.

     2) If another commit (which can be totally unrelated in
        functionality, just touching the same area of code) needs to be
        applied before the one you backport, do you add the ticket URL
        to the prerequisite as well or create a new one?

If a backport happens much later, IMHO the proper way would be to create a separate ticket for the backport and reference the original ticket(s) and record all commits, even the prerequisites.
--
Petr Vobornik