On 06/10/15 08:04, David Kupka wrote:
On 06/10/15 13:35, Simo Sorce wrote:
On 06/10/15 03:51, thierry bordaz wrote:
On 10/06/2015 07:19 AM, David Kupka wrote:
On 05/10/15 16:12, Simo Sorce wrote:
On 05/10/15 09:00, Martin Babinsky wrote:
These patches implement the plumbing required to properly support
canonicalization of Kerberos principals (
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3864).

Setting multiple principal aliases on hosts/services is beyond the
scope
of this patchset and should be done after these patches are pushed.

I will try to send some tests for the patches later this week.

Please review the hell out of them.

LGTM, I do not see any issue at quick visual inspection.
What about the performance regression with the indexes ? Is that bug
fixed in 389ds ?

Simo.

The issue is still there. Thierry investigated this in 389 DS and IIUC
he is not sure if it's bug or completely missing feature. Therefore we
still don't know how much time is needed there.

Hi,
that is correct.
I can reproduce the problem. Although the matching rule (in my test
caseIgnoreIA5Match) is found, it has no registered indexing function, so
the setting (nsMatchingRule) is ignored.
I do not know if the indexing function is missing or there is a bug so
that the matching rule "forget" to register it.
This feature is documented but I can not find any QA test around it, so
I do not know yet if it is a regression or if it was not enabled at all.

I do not expect rapid progress on it. How urgent is it ? 7.3 ?
For the moment I can think to only two workarounds:

  * use filtered matching rule (preferred)
  * change the attribute syntax/matching rule, in the schema (I would
    discourage this one because changing the schema is risky)

We can't change the syntax at this point.

Well this patchset is blocked until the 389 ds bug is fixed (the
performance regression is too big to just put it in and hope) so I guess
we'll have to negotiate a time for the fix.

Simo.

I agree that we really shouldn't change schema.

But I don't think the patches're necessary blocked by this issue.
Canonicalization was never supported in FreeIPA and when it is not
requested the performance is not effected at all. We could merge patches
as soon as they're carefully reviewed and tested to avoid tedious
rebasing and start using the new functionality when 389 DS gets fixed.

The fact we didn't do canonicalization this way doesn't mean clients aren't asking for it.

I think Windows clients ask for canonicalization by default, and in SSSD I see we turn on by default krb5_canonicalize in the IPA nd LDAP case (oddly enough not in the AD case ?)

So SSSD's authentication requests would end up hitting this case all the time if I am reading the code correctly (CCed Jakub to confirm/dispel this).

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York