On 08/10/15 09:34, Petr Spacek wrote:
Hello list,

I'm in process of reviewing and fixing some of our docs and it seems that we
do not have established term for The Domain user specified during
ipa-server-install.

Term "DNS domain" is not specific enough because FreeIPA can manage multiple
DNS domains but only one of them contains SRV records. Term "IdM domain"
sounds too vague for the same reasons.

We should make it easy to publish SRV records on any domain, if a client is in a different DNS domain it should still be able to discover the IPA servers.

What about "primary DNS domain"? Or "primary IdM domain"?

What's "primary" about it ? The fact that the Realm is named after it ?
I guess that could work, but it wouldn't necessarily be accurate if you decide to move tto use poredominantly another different DNS domain during the lifetime of an install.

What term is used in AD world? My google-fu is weak on this.

There is no such term because, mostly, in the AD world there is only one DNS domain that matters, the one that corresponds 1-1 to the Realm name. So there is only The AD Domain Name.

Ideas are more than welcome!

I guess primary is ok, I draw a blank on what else could be used right now.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York