On 11/18/2015 04:51 PM, Martin Babinsky wrote:
On 11/18/2015 02:16 PM, Lenka Doudova wrote:
Hi,

here's a patch that adds a few comments to stageuser tests in order to
allow easier determining of a problem when tests fail.

Lenka

Hi Lenka,

Firstly a technical detail: Python indexes lists from 0, so the comments in 'options_ok' do not correctly map to the test names anyway.

I am also not sure if this patch is worth reviewing and pushing as it IMHO doesn't help in the identification of failed tests at all.

This should be solved at more fundamental level.

Ouch, good point, I didn't realize. Sorry.

Anyway, the issue is that even if tests are run in verbose mode, you get output like this:

ipatests/test_xmlrpc/test_stageuser_plugin.py::TestStagedUser::test_create_attr[stageduser27] PASSED

ipatests/test_xmlrpc/test_stageuser_plugin.py::TestStagedUser::test_create_attr[stageduser28] PASSED

ipatests/test_xmlrpc/test_stageuser_plugin.py::TestStagedUser::test_create_attr[stageduser29] PASSED

ipatests/test_xmlrpc/test_stageuser_plugin.py::TestStagedUser::test_create_attr[stageduser210] PASSED

ipatests/test_xmlrpc/test_stageuser_plugin.py::TestStagedUser::test_create_attr[stageduser211] PASSED

ipatests/test_xmlrpc/test_stageuser_plugin.py::TestStagedUser::test_create_attr[stageduser212] PASSED

If some test fails, you can't really tell which command was the one responsible for the fail. This should be solved by https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5449. Until that's done, though, the only way to find out which command failed is looking at the code and finding which parameters were put into the command, which was not much possible without better commenting the test case (as I realized last week when David Kupka asked me to help him find the reason for failed tests). Obviously I can rewrite the tests so there's 27 separate test cases, one for each parameter, instead of one method that 'unwraps' into 27 test cases, which would entirely eliminate the confusion. So far I don't know of a way to put 27 similar test cases in one method which would allow easy recognition of the test cases.
I'll wait with fixing the patch until further discussion.

Lenka