On 23.11.2015 07:43, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 19.11.2015 00:55, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 11/03/2015 02:39 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
Hello,
Python 3's strings are Unicode, so data coming to or leaving a Python
program needs to be decoded/encoded if it's to be handled as a string.
One of the boundaries where encoding is necessary is external programs,
specifically, ipautil.run.
Unfortunately there's no one set of options that would work for all
run() invocations, so I went through them all and specified the
stdin/stdout/stderr encoding where necessary. I've also updated the call
sites to make it clearer if the return values are used or not.
If an encoding is not set, run() will accept/return bytes. (This is a
fail-safe setting, since it can't raise errors, and using bytes where
strings are expected generally fails loudly in py3.)

Note that the changes are not effective under Python 2.

ping,
Could someone look at this patch?

Looking.

1) I think a better approach would be to use str for stdin/stdout/stderr by default in both Python 2 and 3, i.e. do nothing in Python 2 and encode/decode using locale.getpreferredencoding() in Python 3. This is consistent with sys.std{in,out,err} in both Python 2 and 3. Using bytes or different encoding should be opt-in.

Note that different encoding should be used only if the LC_ALL or LANG variables are overriden in the command's environment.

2) The str() here is wrong:

+ arg_string = nolog_replace(' '.join(str(shell_quote(a)) for a in args), nolog)

It converts b'data' to "b'data'" in Python 3.

Popen accepts both bytes and text in both Python 2 and 3, so there is nothing to be done for bytes arguments.

3) I think the "surrogateescape" error handler would be better for non-strict decoding, as the text can be encoded back to bytes without loss of information.

4) There are direct calls to subprocess.Popen() in a few places, have you checked them as well?

--
Jan Cholasta