Hi,

On 13.1.2016 13:03, Martin Babinsky wrote:
On 01/13/2016 11:34 AM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
Hello,
I'm planning to port the ipa-client to Python 3, and I'm likely to end
up shaking out some dusty corners of the codebase, rather than doing the
minimal amount of work :)
So I'd like to get your opinions before I commit significant time to
this.

I think it would be beneficial to split ipa-client to better match both
how it's put in the RPMs these days, and how the rest of IPA is
organized. (And, to stop using autotools to "build" Python libraries...)

The resulting structure could look like this:

ipaclient/
- *.py
- setup.py

+1

client-tools/
- man/*
- *.c
- *.h
- all the automake stuff
- current contents of ipa-install (Python scripts that go in /usr/sbin)

I would rather s/client-tools/client/, as this stuff goes into the freeipa-*client* subpackage.

I'm not sure if this is what you are suggesting or not, but I would like the man page files to be in the same directory as the corresponding source code files.

Removed:
- ipa-client.spec.in (included in freeipa.spec.in)
- NEWS (empty)
- README (entirely outdated)

+1

Does this look like a reasonable direction to explore?

Makes sense to me, this kind of work would be needed during client
installer refactoring anyway (also, using autotools for python module
installation hurts my brain a lot).

Honza

--
Jan Cholasta