On Fri, 04 Mar 2016, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 03/04/2016 10:10 AM, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
On Fri, 04 Mar 2016, Martin Kosek wrote:
Hi Alexander and others,

As you know, SSSD 1.13.4 added support of reading the native SUDO tree [1].
This means that FreeIPA deployments with all clients being SSSD 1.13.4 or older
will be able to disable the sudoers schema compatiblity tree
(cn=sudoers,cn=Schema Compatibility,cn=plugins,cn=config).

Right now, I am only aware of an attribute tu disable the whole Schema Compat
plugin (exposed via ipa-compat-manage tool), but this would not fly for people
with legacy clients reading from Compat tree.

I am thinking, is there an easy way we can recommend to admins on how to do
disable just certain Schema Compatibility rules? Ideally having a config
options something like:

schema-compat-enabled: on|off

That could be changed via ldapmodify.

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1108
There is nothing like that in slapi-nis. If you want to remove container
configuration, you just remove it.

So, doing as DM 'ldapdelete "cn=sudoers,cn=Schema
Compatibility,cn=plugins,cn=config"'
is our simplest way.

One can create an update file for ipa-ldap-updater, for example:
--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--
dn: cn=sudoers,cn=Schema Compatibility,cn=plugins,cn=config
deleteentry: cn=sudoers,cn=Schema Compatibility,cn=plugins,cn=config
-->8-->8-->8-->8-->8-->8-->8--

and then run it as ipa-ldap-updater ./89-remove-sudo-compat-tree.update

This is what I was afraid of...

I'm not sure if running server upgrade would not restore the
configuration, though.

I think it would.

On the other hand, if no users are going to use the configuration, it
should not hurt anymore to have it enabled. With current slapi-nis state
there should be no problems anymore.

Well, slapi-nis will still maintain the memory cache, AFAIK.

How difficult would it be to implement

schema-compat-enabled: on|off

? It seems to me as the best way forward.
The attribute itself is not hard to implement. It is much more complex
to ensure the map is ignored if disabled.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy