On 8.4.2016 17:10, Martin Babinsky wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have put together a draft [1] outlining the effort to reimplement the
> handling of Kerberos principals in both backend and frontend layers of FreeIPA
> so that we may have multiple aliases per user, host or service and thus
> implement stuff like https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3961 and
> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5413 .
>
> Since much of the plumbing was already implemented,[2] the document mainly
> describes what the patches do. Some parts required by other use cases may be
> missing so please point these out.
>
> I would also be happy if you could correct all factual inacurracies, I did
> research on this issue a long time ago and my knowledge turned a bit rusty.
>
> [1] http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Kerberos_principal_aliases
> [2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2015-October/msg00048.html

I cannot say much about the implementation, but I would appreciate following
information:

CLI
===
1) {user,host,service}-add operate with canonical name, right? This could be
made clear so normal user understands the text.

2) Is it possible to change the canonical name?

3) Can Web UI work with aliases without --principal-alias parameter?

Upgrade
=======
> The backward compatibility with older machines will be kept while the new
> attributes will be replicated to older master when new host/service/entries
> will be created on new ones. No special upgrade procedure shall be necessary.

It would be good to explicitly mention that old attributes will be still
populated => old and new replicas can work in the same topology.

Other than that it seems reasonable.

--
Petr^2 Spacek