On 12.4.2016 12:57, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 12.4.2016 10:45, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 12.4.2016 09:31, Martin Babinsky wrote:
On 03/17/2016 06:16 PM, Martin Babinsky wrote:
Hi list,

here is a link (http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Server_Roles) to WIP
design document concerning the concept of Server Roles as a
user-friendly abstraction of the services running on IPA masters.

The main aim of this feature is to provide a higher level interface to
query and manipulate service-related information stored in dirsrv
backend.

I have not touched the design much from the post-Devconf session,
mainly
because there are some points to clarify and agree upon.

I have the following points to discuss:

1.) the design assumes that there is a distinction between roles
such as
DNS server, CA, etc. and the more specific sub-roles such as DNSSec key
master, CRL master, etc. Now in the hindsight I think this distinction
is quite artificial and just clutters the interface unnecessarily. We
might implement this kind of hierarchy in the code itself but that is
something the user needs not be aware of.

2.) I guess the role names should be case insensitive so that users are
not hindered by trying to get the case right.

3.) Do we need an internal API call which will add all services
belonging to a role to the corresponding master entry? (basically a
'server_add_role' type of command). Currently, each service instance
adds its own service entry during service installation so we
probably do
not need to duplicate this functionality.

That is all I can think of right now. I had many more questions popping
up during this night's bout of insomnia, but they got lost during
the day.

Do not be afraid to bring up other questions/remarks/comments. This is
my first design documents so I expect them to be plenty.

Hi list,

We had a discussion with Petr Spacek and Jan Cholasta about the possible
utilization of server role implementation for the generation of location
specific DNAME records.[1]

The thing that would make Petr's life a bit easier is a plugin that
would
associate a certain role with a set of DNS RRs and would be able to
spew out
configured RRs for all masters on which the role is enabled.

For example, for the implicit "IPA Master" role we would spit out all
configured LDAP/Kerberos/Kpasswd SRV records.

I have updated the design[2] to include CLI commands that will to
this job,
although I think it would be enough to just have them in API and to
not expose
them on the command line. Let me know what you think.

I agree. Even user-visible API can be too much. Can we make this purely
internal interface?

+1, these should be commands at all, but rather a new type of plugin.

... should *not* be...

--
Jan Cholasta