On 18.4.2016 21:33, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-04-18 at 17:44 +0200, Petr Spacek wrote:
>> * Find, filter and copy hand-made records from main tree into the
>> <tt>_locations</tt> sub-trees. This means that every hand-made record
>> needs to be copied and synchronized N-times where N = number of IPA
>> locations.
>
> This ^^ seem the one that provides the best semantics for admins and the
> least unexpected results.
>
>> My favorite option for the first version is 'document that enabling
>> DNS location will hide hand-made records in IPA domain.'
>
> I do not think this is acceptable, sorry.
>
>> The feature is disabled by default and needs additional configuration
>> anyway so simply upgrading should not break anything.
>
> It is also useless this way.
>
>> I'm eager to hear opinions and answers to questions above.
>
> HTH,

Well it does not help because you did not answer the questions listed in the
design page.

Anyway, here is third version of the design. It avoids copying user-made
records (basically 2 DNAMEs were replaced with bunch of CNAMEs):

http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/DNS_Location_Mechanism#Design_.28Version_3:_CNAME_per_service_name.29

It seems like a good middle ground:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/DNS_Location_Mechanism#Comparison_of_proposals

This required changes in RecordGenerator design, too:
https://fedorahosted.org/bind-dyndb-ldap/wiki/Design/RecordGenerator

Also, CLI was updated to follow Honza's recommendations from previous e-mails:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/DNS_Location_Mechanism#CLI

Please review.

--
Petr^2 Spacek