On 10.05.2016 14:42, Gabe Alford wrote:
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 6:26 AM, Martin Basti <mba...@redhat.com <mailto:mba...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    On 10.05.2016 14:13, Gabe Alford wrote:
    On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Martin Basti <mba...@redhat.com
    <mailto:mba...@redhat.com>> wrote:

        On 04.05.2016 15:14, Gabe Alford wrote:
        On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:17 PM, Abhijeet Kasurde
        <akasu...@redhat.com <mailto:akasu...@redhat.com>> wrote:

            Hi Gabe,

            I am wondering, how are we handling "CalledProcessError"
            exception ?

        I am not sure 100% what you are asking, but from what I
        understand, the "CalledProcessError" exception is when a
        process returns a non-zero exit status.
        However when running 'ipa-nis-manage enable', an exception
        is never hit even if portmap is not installed, hence portmap
        always being enabled.

        So it seems that if the process is not installed,
        "CalledProcessError" doesn't catch an error.

        Gabe
        Hello,

        portmap.enable() may raise the "CalledProcessError" in case
        that systemct enable failed and we should catch this
        exception and handle it in the same way as it is done now.
        i.e catch that exception and set proper return state.

        Martin^2

    Shouldn't "CalledProcessError" raise an exception in this case?
    In my testing, it doesn't seem to raise an exception when the
    service does not even exist on the system.

    Gabe

    You are right, there is try-except-pass, so no exception can be raised

    def __enable(self, instance_name=""):
         try:
             ipautil.run([paths.SYSTEMCTL,"enable",
                          self.service_instance(instance_name)])
         except ipautil.CalledProcessError:
             pass

    Martin

It is also the case for disable(), mask(), unmask(), etc. Should we update the exception in __enable() or is there a reason that it just passes at exception?

Gabe

I dont think that we should chnge behavior there, what I'm missing there is proper logging :) If you want you can create ticket for it. Leave try-except-pass there, changing this may affect a lot of places, and there is no time to fix it in 4.4 release.

Martin^2