> Hello,
>
> As you may or may not know, Tomas Babej left the FreeIPA team as a Red Hat
> employee, which of course does not mean he cannot contribute to the FreeIPA
> project, but that he won't have as much time for contributions as
> previously.
>
> One of Tomas' responsibilities was taking care of FreeIPA translations
> (Translation Maintainer role). As far as I know, there 2 main tasks
> associated
> with the Translation Maintainer role:
>
> 1) Periodically uploading new upstream strings to the FreeIPA translation
> platform of choice, which is the Fedora Zanata instance:
> https://fedora.zanata.org/project/view/freeipa
> The upload should happen periodically, on the right occasions, so that the
> translators (especially the French and Ukrainian translations which have
> 100%
> translated) have sufficient time to translate strings for the next version
> and
> do not have to translate it all in couple days before release. (This was
> one of
> the feedback I heard recently).
>
> 2) Downloading translated strings, Tomas added a short HowTo to our
> Release page:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Release#Translations
>
> We will need a new volunteer who would help doing 1) and 2) for the planned
> releases and making sure this process runs. The first task would be
> uploading
> current strings in master as the next release is FreeIPA 4.4 planned for
> June,
> so it may be nice to already upload new strings we have in FreeIPA already
> Zanata, so that they can be translated in sufficient time.
>
> Volunteer(s)?
>
> As part of the learning process, I think it would be useful to do more
> documentation of the steps taken in every translation life-cycle, current
> HowTo
> in Release page is rather vague. I for example did not find information
> how to
> work with translation versions that I saw defined in Zanata (branching may
> work
> similarly as in current FreeIPA git).

​Thanks to the two volunteers​!

Looking forward to see this happen!

To reiterate on Martin K. message on uploads, I'd really like to see
regular strings uploads to the master branch in Zanata, say once a week or
every two weeks, so that translators can work on smaller strings batches.
"Release early, release oftem" :)

And strings that would be translated twice in a short time span wouldn't be
entirely lost because they may stay in the Zanata translation memory and
could help translators finalizing dot releases if the specific branches in
Zanata.

​And if ​we can see the upload to master soon, translators can start
working now before the branch for the 4.4 June release.

​Regards,

J.
--
Jérôme Fenal