написане Sat, 14 May 2016 12:57:13 +0300, Jérôme Fenal <jfe...@gmail.com>:

Hello,

As you may or may not know, Tomas Babej left the FreeIPA team as a Red Hat employee, which of course does not mean he cannot contribute to the FreeIPA
project, but that he won't have as much time for contributions as
previously.

One of Tomas' responsibilities was taking care of FreeIPA translations
(Translation Maintainer role). As far as I know, there 2 main tasks
associated
with the Translation Maintainer role:

1) Periodically uploading new upstream strings to the FreeIPA translation
platform of choice, which is the Fedora Zanata instance:
https://fedora.zanata.org/project/view/freeipa
The upload should happen periodically, on the right occasions, so that the
translators (especially the French and Ukrainian translations which have
100%
translated) have sufficient time to translate strings for the next version
and
do not have to translate it all in couple days before release. (This was
one of
the feedback I heard recently).

2) Downloading translated strings, Tomas added a short HowTo to our
Release page:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Release#Translations

We will need a new volunteer who would help doing 1) and 2) for the planned
releases and making sure this process runs. The first task would be
uploading
current strings in master as the next release is FreeIPA 4.4 planned for
June,
so it may be nice to already upload new strings we have in FreeIPA already
Zanata, so that they can be translated in sufficient time.

Volunteer(s)?

As part of the learning process, I think it would be useful to do more
documentation of the steps taken in every translation life-cycle, current
HowTo
in Release page is rather vague. I for example did not find information
how to
work with translation versions that I saw defined in Zanata (branching may
work
similarly as in current FreeIPA git).

​Thanks to the two volunteers​!

Looking forward to see this happen!

To reiterate on Martin K. message on uploads, I'd really like to see
regular strings uploads to the master branch in Zanata, say once a week or
every two weeks, so that translators can work on smaller strings batches.
"Release early, release oftem" :)

And strings that would be translated twice in a short time span wouldn't be
entirely lost because they may stay in the Zanata translation memory and
could help translators finalizing dot releases if the specific branches in
Zanata.

​And if ​we can see the upload to master soon, translators can start
working now before the branch for the 4.4 June release.

​Regards,

J.

Hi,

Similar thoughts here.

Just a note on branches, I think that it is worth to keep the translation just for the current release because keeping several branches on Zanata (or any other translation platform) is proved to be not effective from both sides, developers and translators.

It is a matter of just two commands (one for extraction and "zanata push" for pushing the catalog to Zanata). So, personally, I'd like to see the updates as soon as possible (something close to continuous integration). This allows us, translators, to react on any glitches in the initial strings and make the releases perfect.

It would be good if each release preparation process is close to the libguestfs's one:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-hacking.1.html#making-a-stable-release

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Yuri