On 28.6.2016 12:33, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 06/28/2016 12:23 PM, Fraser Tweedale wrote:
On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 11:00:17AM +0200, Martin Kosek wrote:
Hi Fraser,

I was testing FreeIPA Sub-CA feature and setup a Sub-CA:

CN=Certificate Authority,O=VPN,O=DEMO1.FREEIPA.ORG

Then I set up ACL and generated a certificate request by:

$ certutil -R -d . -a -g 2048 -s
'CN=ipa.demo1.freeipa.org,O=VPN,O=DEMO1.FREEIPA.ORG' -8 'ipa.demo1.freeipa.org'

The resulting certificate is attached. What I pondering about is

        Issuer: O=DEMO1.FREEIPA.ORG, O=VPN, CN=Certificate Authority
        Subject: O=DEMO1.FREEIPA.ORG, CN=ipa.demo1.freeipa.org

Shouldn't the subject have O=VPN in it also?

Hi Martin,

(Cc freeipa-devel@ ; this info may be of general interest)

The subject is determined by the certificate profile.  In the case
of caIPAserviceCert, the pattern is:

    CN=$$request.req_subject_name.cn$$, $SUBJECT_DN_O

The CN comes from the CSR, and the Organisation is the IPA
certificate subject base (as a literal string in the profile
configuration).

There are no substitution variables available to say "use such and
such from the issuer DN".  If the default pattern is not suitable,
you can define a profile with the subject DN pattern having exactly
the O=... parts of DN you want (and/or other attributes), then
associate the profile with the CA through CA ACLs.  (This approach
is not elegant and does not scale well to many CAs).

Hope that my explanation is helpful.

The explanation is helpful, I just do not I like the answer :-) What do you
think would make most sense for Sub-CA users?

I would like to see pattern like "$$issuer.suffix$$" where the Dogtag would
fill the non-CN part of issuer DN, i.e. in this case:

O=DEMO1.FREEIPA.ORG, O=VPN

which would make this profile flexible and usable in any Sub-CA.

Should I file a ticket? Can you scope if it fits in some FreeIPA 4.4.x and
respective Dogtag release? I am just afraid that given we release this feature
in 4.4, people would have to very creative and duplicate lot of certificate
profiles for different sub-CAs just to workaround the Subject patter
limitation, as you mentioned.

What is the use case? The certificate is equally good with both the current and your suggested issuer name. There is no relation between issuer name and subject name in general, and AFAIK the current recommendation is to omit subject name for end-entity certificate entirely and instead rely on SAN, so why should we bother?

Honza