Hi,

On 17.6.2016 00:06, Ben Lipton wrote:
On 06/14/2016 08:27 AM, Ben Lipton wrote:
Hello all,

I have written up a design proposal for making certificate requests
easier to generate when using alternate certificate profiles:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Automatic_Certificate_Request_Generation.
The use case for this is described in
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4899. I will be working on
implementing this design over the next couple of months. If you have
the time and interest, please take a look and share any comments or
concerns that you have.

Thanks!

Ben

Just a quick update to say that I've created a new document that covers
the proposed schema additions in a more descriptive way (with diagrams!)
I'm very new to developing with LDAP, so some more experienced eyes on
the proposal would be very helpful, even if you don't have time to
absorb the full design. Please take a look at
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Automatic_Certificate_Request_Generation/Schema
if you have a chance.

I finally had a chance to take a look at this, here are some comments:

1) I don't like how transformation rules are tied to a particular helper and have to be duplicated for each of them. They should be generic and work with any helper, as helpers are just an implementation detail and their resulting data is the same.

In fact, I think I would prefer if the CSR was generated using python-cryptography's CertificateSigningRequestBuilder [1] rather than openssl or certutil or any other command line tool.

2) The schema seems unnecessarily complex. I think all we need is a single new multi-value attribute in certprofile. For your S/MIME example, it could be something like:

    attr: subjectname=CN={subject.cn},{subject_base}
    attr: san_rfc822name={subject.email}
    attr: san_directoryname={subject.dn}

Honza

[1] <https://cryptography.io/en/latest/x509/reference/#x-509-csr-certificate-signing-request-builder-object>