On 31.8.2016 12:42, Standa Laznicka wrote:
> On 08/30/2016 03:34 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:

>>> Sorry to join the discussion so late, I was away yesterday.
>>>
>>> I have to say I too like this idea much better than fiddling with the
>>> objectClasses. Also, I believe that accessRuleType was originally
>>> actually used to distinguish newer version of HBAC rules from the older
>>> so we may just do this again and profit from its original purpose. To
>>> top it off, this change should be really easy to implement to what I
>>> currently have on SSSD side.
>>>
>>> I was just wondering - would you propose for every newly created rule to
>>> have the new accessRuleType set to "allow_with_time" or should the type
>>> change with addition of time rules to the HBAC rule as it does
>>> currently? Also, should the user be able to modify the type so that a
>>> rule with the new type is also visible for older clients (=> he could
>>> add "allow" to type anytime)?
>> Rules of type allow_with_time will not work on older clients, so we
>> should probably default to just the old "allow" schema.
>>
>> I think in the first implementation the framework/cli/ui should not
>> emphasize this attribute but simply replace allow -> allow_with_time if
>> a time attribute is added.
>>
>> In future we may give control of it and allow even to set multiple
>> values, after we discuss better if that should be done, and with ample
>> warnings to admins.
>>
>> Also setting a time rule makes a rule incompatible with older clients so
>> we should spell it clearly in the CLI/UI with a warning message that
>> this rule will not apply at all to older clients.
>>
>>> Thanks for your ideas, I am very happy with what you suggested here :)
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Simo.
>>
> So - can we all agree on a solution?
>
> I took an extra half an hour and created the accessRuleType solution on top of
> what I currently have, see patches attached to get the picture what the change
> would mean for what I currently have in
> https://github.com/stlaz/freeipa/tree/timerules_2 and
> https://github.com/stlaz/sssd/tree/freeipa-trac-547_2. Note that the sssd
> patch is really just to get a picture, it currently causes sssd_be to core
> dump, not sure why and don't want to waste time debugging it right now.
>
> I myself would in the end rather go for objectClasses implementation as new
> rules are not shown to old clients which seems correct as there's no confusion
> for admins who might scratch their heads at old clients with no idea why their
> HBAC rules don't apply otherwise.

+1, I agree with Standa and Martin Basti. Let me repeat myself:

I like the idea of "capabilities" in general but it needs proper design and
detailed specification first.

Given that we have to modify SSSD anyway, I would go for ipaHBACRulev2 object
class with clear definition of "capabilities" (without any obsolete cruft).

That should be future proof and without any negative/unforeseen impact to
existing clients + it matches what Jan Pazdziora plans to do for HBAC+URI.

--
Petr^2 Spacek