On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 12:49:30PM +0200, Sumit Bose wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've started to write a SSSD design page about enhancing the current
> mapping of certificates to users and how to select/match a suitable
> certificate if multiple certificates are on a Smartcard.
>
> My currently thoughts and idea and be found at
> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DesignDocs/MatchingAndMappingCertificates
> and for your convenience below as well.
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome. Please let me know about concerns,
> alternatives and missing use-cases/user-stories.
>
> bye,
> Sumit

Hi,

Rob, Fraser, Alexander, thank you for your comments. I think both the
issuer specific matching and the OID in the SUBJECT matching are good
ideas. I updated the design page accordingly. The changes can be shown
with
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DesignDocs/MatchingAndMappingCertificates?action=diff&version=9&old_version=6

The updated version can be found below as well. Of course more comments and
suggestions are still very welcome.

bye,
Sumit

= Matching and Mapping Certificates =

Related ticket(s):
 * http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/User_Certificates#Certificate_Identity_Mapping

=== Problem statement ===
==== Mapping ====
Currently it is required that a certificate used for authentication is either
stored in the LDAP user entry or in a matching override. This might not always
be applicable and other ways are needed to relate a user with a certificate.

==== Matching ====
Even if SSSD will support multiple certificates on a Smartcard in the context
of https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/3050 it might be necessary to restrict
(or relax) the current certificate selection in certain environments.

=== Use cases ===
==== Mapping ====
In some environments it might not be possible or would cause unwanted effort to
add certificates to the LDAP entry of the users to allow Smartcard based
authentication. Reasons might be:
* Certificates/Smartcards are issued externally
* LDAP schema extension is not possible or not allowed

==== Matching ====
A user might have multiple certificate on a Smartcard which are suitable for
authentication. But on some host in the environment only certificates from a
specific CA (while all other CAs are trusted as well) or with some special
extension should be valid for login.

=== Overview of the solution ===
To match a certificate a language/syntax has to be defined which allows to
reference items from the certificate and compare the values with the expected
data. To map the certificates to a user the language/syntax should allow to
relate certificate items with LDAP attributes so that the value(s) from the
certificate item can be used in a LDAP search filter.

=== Implementation details ===
==== Matching ====
The pkinit plugin of MIT Kerberos must find a suitable certificate from a
Smartcard as well and has defined the following syntax (see the
pkinit_cert_match section of the krb5.conf man page or
http://web.mit.edu/Kerberos/krb5-1.14/doc/admin/conf_files/krb5_conf.html for
details). The main components are

* <SUBJECT>regular-expression
* <ISSUER>regular-expression
* <SAN>regular-expression
* <EKU>extended-key-usage-list
* <KU>key-usage-list

and can be grouped together with a prefixed '&&' (and) or '`||`' (or) operator
('&&' is the default). If multiple rules are given they are iterated with the
order in the config file as long as a rule matches exactly one certificate.

'''Question: MIT Kerberos use case-sensitive matching and POSIX Extended
Regular Expression syntax, shall we do the same?'''

While <SUBJECT> and <ISSUER> are (imo) already quite flexible I can see some
potential extensions for the other components.

<EKU> and <KU> in MIT Kerberos only accept certain string values related to
some allowed values in those field as defined in
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3280.txt . The selection is basically determined by
what is supported on server side of the pkinit plugin of MIT Kerberos. Since we
plan to extend pkinit and support local authentication without pkinit as well I
would suggest to allow OID strings for those components as well (the comparison
is done on the OID level nonetheless).

The <SAN> component in MIT Kerberos only checks the otherName SAN component for
the id-pkinit-san OID as defined in https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4556.txt or the
szOID_NT_PRINCIPAL_NAME OID as mentioned in
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/287547. While this is sufficient for the
default pkinit user case of MIT Kerberos I would suggest to extend this
component by allowing to specific an OID with <SAN:O.I.D>

===== Issuer specific matching =====
Although the MIT Kerberos rules allow to select the issuer of a certificate
there are use cases where a more specific selection is needed. E.g. if there
are some default matching rules for all issuers and some other issuer specific
rules where the default rules should not apply. To make this possible with the
above scheme the default rules must have an <ISSUER> clause which matches all
but the issuer with the specific rules. Writing regular-expressions to not
match a specific string or a list of strings is at least error-prone if not
impossible.

To make it easier to define issuer specific rules and default rules at the same
time and optional issuer string can be added to the rule to indicate that for
the given issuer only those rules should be considered. Given the use-case I
think it is acceptable to require that the full issuer must be specified here
in LDAP order (see below) and case-sensitive matching is used.

How the issuer string is linked to the matching rules depends on the storage
(LDAP or sssd.conf, see below for details).
==== Mapping ====
Since different certificates, e.g. issued by different CAs, might have
different mapping rule, a matching rule must be added if there are more than 1
mapping rule. A single mapping rule without a matching rule might be used as
default/catch-all rule in this case.

If multiple rules matches the derived LDAP filter components can be grouped
with the or-operator "|".

A mapping rule can use a similar syntax like the matching rule where the LDAP
attribute can be added with a ':', e.g.
* <SUBJECT:O.I.D.:ldapAttributeName>
* <SAN:O.I.D.:ldapAttributeName>

where O.I.D. is either the OID or name of a RDN type or the OID or some
well-known-name of the SAN component respectively. Since the SUBJECT might
contain multiple RDNs of the same type always the "most specific" is selected
because in general this will be the most suited one to map the certificate to a
specific user. "most specific" means the last in X.500 order and the first in
LDAP order (see discussion below for details).

If the O.I.D. is missing the full SUBJECT is used for mapping. If 'DN' is used
as ldapAttributeName SUBJECT is expected to be the DN of the user. If the
O.I.D. is missing in the SAN case the same default as with matching
(id-pkinit-san and szOID_NT_PRINCIPAL_NAME OID) is used. If both SAN values can
be found in the certificate and are different the LDAP search filter will
combine both with the or-operator.

Currently I see no usage for <ISSUER>, <KU> and <EKU> in mapping rules because
they do not contain any user-specific data. If at some point we will have
personal CAs we might consider to add <ISSUER> based mappings.

===== Future consideration =====
Most of the interesting values from the SAN should be directly map-able to LDAP
attributes. And processing the string representation of <SUBJECT> might be
tricky as discussed below. Nevertheless it might be possible to add to
following in a future release if more complex operations on the values are
needed:

* <SUBJECT:ldapAttributeName>/regexp/replacement/
* <SAN:O.I.D.:ldapAttributeName>/regexp/replacement/

where "/regexp/replacement/" stands for optional sed-like substitution rules.
E.g. a rule like
{{{
<SUBJECT:samAccountName>/^CN=\([^,]*\).*$/\1/
}}}
would take the subject string 'CN=Certuser,CN=Users,DC=example,DC=com' from the
certificate and generate a LDAP search filter component
'(samAccountName=Certuser)' which can be included in a LDAP search filter which
includes additional components like e.g. an objectClass.

The search-and-replace does not has to be sed-like because afaik there is not
library which offers this and I would like to avoid implementing it. GLib e.g.
has
[https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-Perl-compatible-regular-expressions.html#g-regex-replace
 g_regex_replace]. Since we already have a GLib dependency in SSSD due to soem
utf8 helper functions using might be acceptable as well. Nevertheless it would
be nice to hear if there are alternative libraries available as well.

Maybe even search-and-replace are not sufficient for all cases and something
like embedded lua scripts are needed. But since certificate mapping is about
access control and authorization it should be always considered if adding a new
attribute to the users LDAP entry which makes mapping easy and straight-forward
wouldn't be the better solution.

===== Some notes about DNs =====
The X.500 family of standards define names as "SEQUENCE OF
RelativeDistinguishedName" where the sequence is "starting with the root and
ending with the object being named" (see X.501 section 9.2 for details). On the
other hand RFC4514 section 2.1 says "Otherwise, the output consists of the
string encoding of each RelativeDistinguishedName in the RDNSequence (according
to Section 2.2), starting with the last element of the sequence and moving
backwards toward the first." This means that the ASN.1 encoded issuer and
subject DN from the X.509 certificate can be either displayed as string in the
* X.500 order: DC=com,DC=example,CN=users,CN=Certuser
or in the
* LDAP order: CN=Certuser,CN=Users,DC=example,DC=com

As a consequence different tools will use a different order when printing the
issuer and subject DN. While NSS's certutil will use the LDAP order, 'openssl
x509' and gnutls's certtool will use the X.500 order (the latter might change
due to https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/111).

This makes it important to specific the order which is used by SSSD for mapping
and matching. I would prefer the LDAP order here. E.g. by default the AD CA
uses the DN of the users entry in AD as subject in the issues certificate. So a
matching rule like '<SUBJECT:dn>' could tell SSSD to directly search the user
based on its DN (which btw is the original intention of the subject field in
the certificate, only that the DN should be looked up in a more general DAP as
defined by X.500 and not in the lightweight version called LDAP)

Another issue is the limited set of attribute names/types required by the RFCs
(see section 4.1.2.4 of RFC 3280 and section 3 of RFC 4514). If e.g. the
deprecated OID [http://www.oid-info.com/get/1.2.840.113549.1.9.1
1.2.840.113549.1.9.1] is used all tools are able to identify it as an email
address but OpenSSL displays it as 'emailAddress=u...@example.com', certtool as
'EMAIL=u...@example.com' and certutil as 'E=u...@example.com'. So matching
rules should try to avoid attribute names or only the ones from
[https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4514.txt RFC 4514]:
* CN      commonName (2.5.4.3)
* L       localityName (2.5.4.7)
* ST      stateOrProvinceName (2.5.4.8)
* O       organizationName (2.5.4.10)
* OU      organizationalUnitName (2.5.4.11)
* C       countryName (2.5.4.6)
* STREET  streetAddress (2.5.4.9)
* DC      domainComponent (0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.25)
* UID     userId (0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.1)

==== About restricting or enforcing the mapping an matching any further ====
The goal of the matching rules in MIT Kerberos is to select a single
certificate from a Smartcard which will then be used for PKINIT. Since we
already plan to enhance SSSD to support multiple certificates on a Smartcard
and if needed prompt the user which one to use for login we should not enforce
that the matching rules should return only a single certificate or nothing.

Similar we plan to enhance SSSD to use the same certificate to log in with
different user identities, e.g. as a user with standard privileges or as a user
with administrator privileges. So it can make sense that multiple mapping rules
apply to the same certificate and the related LDAP search filter components are
or-ed together.

In many cases the login program will first ask for a user name which will help
to restrict the number of suitable certificates even further and the mapping
rules are only needed to check if the certificate belongs to the user trying to
log in.

But gdm has a feature where gdm will detect when a Smartcard is inserted and
call PAM without a user name. In this case SSSD has to determine the user name
based on the certificates found on the Smartcard. If in this case multiple
valid certificates are on the card and the mapping rules will return multiple
users for each certificate gdm has to display a quite long selection of
certificate-user pairs the user has to choose from.

So it should be underlined in the documentation that the matching and mapping
rules should be detailed and specific so that for the given environment they
help to avoid cases where the user is prompted to select a certificate (or user
name in the gdm case) when trying to log in.

==== Storing matching and mapping configuration ====
On the IPA server a new objectclass can be created to store an matching-mapping
rule pair together with a specific issuer. All attributes are optional because
a missing mapping rule would mean that the user entry will be search with the
whole certificate. A missing matching rule will indicate catch-all rule with a
default mapping. If only a specific issuer is given certificates from this
issuer must be stored in the LDAP entry of the user to make authentication
possible.

Specifying matching-mapping rules in sssd.conf is a bit more complicated
because SSSD does not respect multiple entries with the same keyword, only the
last one is used. So all rules have to be added to a single line. To give it a
little bit of structure the rules can be enclosed by curly-braces '{}{}{}' and
each rule pair is separated by a comma ','. A single rule in curly braces
indicates a matching rule and the mapping will be done with the whole
certificate. A default/catch-all mapping rule will start with an empty pair of
curly braces followed by a pair containing the mapping rule. Issuer specific
rules will have three pairs of curly braces where the first pair must contain
an issuer string.

===== Future considerations =====
If it turns out that this option is used quite often and it gets complicated to
manage a larger set of rules with it and storing the rules in LDAP/IPA/AD is
not an option we might add support to read the rules from a separate file
(certificate_rules = FILE:///etc/sssd/cert_rules) with a more suitable format,
e.g. ini where a list can be defined by given the same option multiple times.

===== Examples =====
* '''certificate_rules = {<EKU>msScLogin}''': only allow certificates with have
the Microsoft OID for Smartcard logon  1.3.6.1.4.1.311.20.2.2 set. use the
whole certificate to look-up the user. The same result can be achieved with
* '''certificate_rules = {<EKU>1.3.6.1.4.1.311.20.2.2}''': see above
* '''certificate_rules =
{<ISSUER>*my-company*<SAN:rfc822Name>*@my-company.com$}{<SAN:rfc822Name:mail>}''':
 only allow certificates form the 'my-company' issuer which have an email
address from the 'my-company.com' domain in the rfc882Name SAN attribute. Use
the email address in a LDAP search filter '(mail=email-address)' to find the
matching user.

=== Configuration changes ===
Does your feature involve changes to configuration, like new options or options
changing values? Summarize them here. There's no need to go into too many
details, that's what man pages are for.

=== How To Test ===
This section should explain to a person with admin-level of SSSD understanding
how this change affects run time behaviour of SSSD and how can an SSSD user
test this change. If the feature is internal-only, please list what areas of
SSSD are affected so that testers know where to focus.

=== How To Debug ===
Explain how to debug this feature if something goes wrong. This section might
include examples of additional commands the user might run (such as keytab or
certificate sanity checks) or explain what message to look for.

=== Authors ===
Give credit to authors of the design in this section.