Title: #171: Build system cleanup phase 2

pspacek commented:
"""
I consider CURL topic to be just bikesheding.

Ad POPT: RHEL is going to require explicit configuration as designed in
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Build_system_refactoring because you have to
explicitly disable missing checks etc. anyway. At the same time you can provide
correct POPT flags.

If RHEL packager disagrees we can use some auto-magic but I would rather avoid
it whenever possible. For reasons above, I think that upstream version should
use pkgconfig as it is preferred way for library auto-detection.
"""

See the full comment at
https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/171#issuecomment-254802857