Hi everybody,

Soon I'm going to have to reduce the amount of time I spend on new development work for the CSR autogeneration project, and I want to leave the project in as organized a state as possible. So, I'm taking inventory of the work I've done in order to make sure that what's ready for review can get reviewed and the ideas that have been discussed get prototyped or at least recorded so they won't be forgotten.

Code that's ready for review (I will continue to put in as much time as needed to help get these ready for submission):

- Current PR: https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/10

- Allow some fields to be specified by the user at creation time: https://github.com/LiptonB/freeipa/commits/local-user-data

- Automation for the full process from getting CSR data to requesting cert: https://github.com/LiptonB/freeipa/commits/local-cert-build

Other prototypes and design ideas that aren't ready for submission yet:

- Utility written in C to build a CertificationRequestInfo from a SubjectPublicKeyInfo and an openssl-style config file. The purpose of this is to take a config that my code already knows how to generate, and put it in a form that certmonger can use. This is nearly done and available at: https://github.com/LiptonB/freeipa-prototypes/blob/master/build_requestinfo.c

- Ideally it should be possible to use this tool to reimplement the full cert-request automation (local-cert-build branch) without a dependency on the certutil/openssl tools. However, I don't think any of the python crypto libraries have bindings for the functions that deal with CertificationRequestInfo objects, so I don't think I can do this in the short term.

- Certmonger "helper" program that takes in the CertificationRequestInfo that certmonger generates, calls out to IPA for profile-specific data, and returns an updated CertificationRequestInfo built from the data. Certmonger doesn't currently support this type of helper, but (if I understood correctly) this is the architecture Nalin believed would be simplest to fit in. This is not done yet, but I intend to complete it soon - it shouldn't require much code beyond what's in build_requestinfo.c.

- Tool to convert an XER-encoded cert extension to DER, given the ASN.1 description of the extension. This would unblock Jan Cholasta's idea of using XSLT for templates rather than text-based formatting. I should be able to implement the conversion tool, but it may be a while before I have time to demo the full XSLT idea.

So: currently on my to do list are the certmonger helper and the XER->DER conversion tool. Do you have any comments about these plans, and is there anything else I can do to wrap up the project neatly?

Thanks,
Ben