On 12/13/2016 09:41 AM, Martin Babinsky wrote:
Hi list,

https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/177 was recently merged despite
causing nearly half of the tests in our Travis CI gating to fail. This
broke Travis CI for all other PR that were rebased after this merge,
causing false negative errors everywhere.

Fraser reverted the offending commits in
https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/329 which restored Travis to
original state (never mind PEP8 errors they were in the original code
already).

Regarding this issues I have two questions:

a)

should I merge https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/329 and thus
revert the breakage in order to unblock other contributors? Given the
current traffic I think it is sufficient to wait for us to investigate
and produce a fix. If not, please scream loudly.

b)

what can we improve to make the results of CI more visible to
contributors? I think that I should sit down with Martin 2 and
investigate the possibility to send notifications about negative CI
results (sufficient IMO) to the mailing list.

In the meanwhile I would like to ask all reviewers to carefully check
the output of failed Travis CI runs. If the job fails, you will see the
results at the very end of the log. There are two sections: PEP8 errors
and test output. You can expand both of them to see what went wrong and
report it to the PR author if necessary.

The reviewer and author can then use the very same tool used in CI [1]
to reproduce the failures locally. Using  '--no-cleanup' option during
the run [2] leaves behind a running container which you can attach to
and investigate further.

[1] https://github.com/freeipa/ipa-docker-test-runner
[2] https://github.com/freeipa/ipa-docker-test-runner/blob/master/README.md

If you have any additional questions/suggestions about Travis feel free
to contact me.

The PR fixing failing Travis CI wss merged to master now.

If you rebase and sync your branches the checks should be green again (well unless you broke something in your PR but you can not blame the regression for that anymore ;)).

--
Martin^3 Babinsky