On 01/05/2017 09:25 AM, Fraser Tweedale wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 08:53:14AM +0100, Martin Babinsky wrote:
>> On 01/05/2017 08:06 AM, Fraser Tweedale wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Although it has been discussed before and met with some skepticism,
>>> here is a POC that exporting test runner output to, e.g. a pastebin,
>>> does work:
>>>
>>> - experimental commit: https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/370
>>> - example paste: https://paste.fedoraproject.org/520085/
>>>   (it is gzipped for reasons discussed in the PR)
>>>
>>> I think we should proceed with getting these artifacts out of Travis
>>> and stored somewhere (it doesn't have to be
>>> paste.fedoraproject.org).  ``tail -n 5000`` of the log file has
>>> proven to be not enough to diagnose all failures.
>>>
>> Wow this is great, why have I not thought about it beforehand?
Seems like a great feature. Thanks, Fraser!
>> We can reduce the log size if we truncate everything before ERRORS/FAILURES
>> output of pytest run (we leave the log as it is if the fail occurs before
>> this stage), that should shave off considerable amount of cruft from the
>> paste unless somebody sends a PR that breaks all out tests :D.
>>
>>> If we stick with paste.fedoraproject.org, we can send to a
>>> "project-specific" namespace e.g.
>>> https://paste.fedoraproject.org/~freeipa, so that we do not clutter
>>> up the main archive (I think).
>>>
>>> A few questions for discussion:
>>>
>>> 1. Stick with fpaste or not?  If so, use "~freeipa" namespace?
>>>    (Keep in mind that the size limitation that exists for fpaste,
>>>    which requires compressing the artifact, may not be a problem
>>>    elsewhere).
>>>
>>> 2. Export log always, or only if the build job failed?
>>>
>> I would also paste the output to "freeipa" or even better "freeipa-travis"
>> namespace and only send it if the job fails.
>>
> I might go with "freeipa-ci".
+1
>>> 3. Should pasted logs expire?  If so, what should TTL be?
>>>
>> IMHO yes, but TTL is hard to determine, since the author of the PR may not
>> be present to review the results immediately (because he is on PTO etc.). I
>> think we should set TTL to something like 1 week and as a fallback keep
>> tailing the CI results log.
>>
> 1 week sounds reasonable.  We can change it later if we need to.
I actually wouldn't mind extending this to something like 2-4 weeks. In
some cases it might be useful to have access to older logs (PTOs, or
simply to just view the history for some reason). Is there any downside
to keeping the logs for a bit longer?
>>> 4. Should we continue to `tail -n 5000` the log as we currently do,
>>>    or just rely on exported log?
If you're talking about the log in the travis web interface, I would
keep it. It's easily accessible from the browser.
>>> Thanks,

--
Tomas Krizek