On 02/21/2017 04:24 PM, Tomas Krizek wrote:
On 02/21/2017 03:23 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Standa Laznicka wrote:
Hello,

Since we're trying to make FreeIPA work in FIPS we got to the point
where we need to do something with MD5 fingerprints in the cert plugin.
Eventually we came to a realization that it'd be best to get rid of them
as a whole. These are counted by the framework and are not stored
anywhere. Note that alongside with these fingerprints SHA1 fingerprints
are also counted and those are there to stay.

The question for this ML is, then - is it OK to remove these or would
you rather have them replaced with SHA-256 alongside the SHA-1? MD5 is a
grandpa and I think it should go.
I based the values displayed on what certutil displayed at the time (7
years ago). I don't know that anyone uses these fingerprints. The
OpenSSL equivalent doesn't include them by default.

You may be able to deprecate fingerprints altogether.

rob
I think it's useful to display the certificate's fingerprint. I'm in
favor of removing md5 and adding sha256 instead.

Rob, thank you for sharing the information of where the cert fingerprints are originated! `certutil` shipped with nss-3.27.0-1.3 currently displays SHA-256 and SHA1 fingerprints for certificates so I propose going that way too.