I have tried to start an apparently crashed instance of ipa server

and got

ipactl startUpgrade required: please run ipa-server-upgrade commandAborting
ipactl

ran ipa-server-upgrade which got to the following step, but no further
ipa.ipaserver.install.ldapupdate.LDAPUpdate: DEBUG:
---------------------------------------------ipa.ipaserver.install.ldapupdate.LDAPUpdate:
 DEBUG: Final value after applying
updatesipa.ipaserver.install.ldapupdate.LDAPUpdate: DEBUG: dn:
cn=selinux,dc=mmracks,dc=internalipa.ipaserver.install.ldapupdate.LDAPUpdate:
DEBUG: objectClass:ipa.ipaserver.install.ldapupdate.LDAPUpdate: DEBUG:
nsContaineripa.ipaserver.install.ldapupdate.LDAPUpdate: DEBUG:
topipa.ipaserver.install.ldapupdate.LDAPUpdate: DEBUG:
cn:ipa.ipaserver.install.ldapupdate.LDAPUpdate: DEBUG:     selinux

the command is stuck and is not giving me any error.
Any advise as to why I am suddenly prompted to upgrade but even more
importantly on how I should get past the above point in the upgrade?
thanks