Simo Sorce via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-06-05 at 09:59 -0500, Kat via FreeIPA-users wrote:
>> Never mind -- if I use ipa-getkeytab, it works perfectly.
>>
>> What is the difference between what getkeytab and ktutil by hand
>> does?
>> Is it documented?
>
> In FreeIPA we generate a random salt instead of using the old
> "principal name as salt". ktutil depends on using the "principal name
> as salt" to generate correct keys, so it fails to create a valid key.

I wonder if we should make a goal of documenting what works with
ktutil/kadmin and what doesn't so at least if/when things blow up we can
point them to a page.

Existing experience with Kerberos can be handy to understand how IPA
fits together but it's a double-edged sword since the usual tool
workflow generally doesn't translate well.

This doesn't come up super-often so maybe we can just point to the users
list. I'd like to avoid creating another ticket that lives forever though.

rob