From: Florence Blanc-Renaud via FreeIPA-users
[mailto:freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org]
Sent: maandag 12 juni 2017 10:51
To: Freeipa-users
Cc: Florence Blanc-Renaud
Subject: [Freeipa-users] Ansible and ipa-client-install

Hi,

the team is starting investigations regarding the deployment of IPA using
Ansible, and we would like to get community feedback. Ansible already provides
a few community-maintained Identity Modules [1] allowing to manage users,
groups, hosts, hbac rules, roles, sudo rules, but in a first phase, we are
focusing on IPA client installation.

The command line ipa-client-install is configuring various components
(hostname, NTP client, IPA client, SSSD, PAM and NSS, Kerberos client + host
keytab, DNS, ssh, OpenLDAP client, NIS, automount, firefox prefs...) Because of
this modularity, a possible strategy would be to provide an Ansible role for
ipaclient, decomposing the installation into reusable Ansible parts (kerberos
client role, OpenLDAP client etc).
In order to avoid maintaining 2 different installation mechanisms, we could
rewrite ipa-client-install so that it internally calls Ansible to perform the
configuration. Note that this would include a new dependency on Ansible, and we
need to make sure that this is acceptable, keeping in mind that we are not
targeting only RHEL and Fedora but also other Linux distributions.

Another strategy would be to have Ansible call the current ipa-client-install
command, but the limitation is that this CLI is not idempotent. It exits on
error when the host is already configured as an IPA client.
A few community-provided IPA roles (client or server) are already using this
approach. They can be found in Galaxy [2].

Whatever strategy is picked, we need to
- keep aligned the Ansible module/role/playbook version and IPA version.
- identify the most important options from ipa-client-install in order to start
with what is really needed from the community
- identify the most frequent use cases regarding
   * authentication: install with username and password, with one-time
password, with an existing keytab
   * DNS configuration: using DNS autodiscovery based on the host domain name,
specifying a domain or a server ...

We are waiting for your feedback on all these topics: would you be likely to
use Ansible to deploy an IPA client, which requirements, concerns, ideas do you
have in this area?

Thank you for your involvement in this project: as users of FreeIPA, your voice
really matters, and you can take this opportunity to influence the direction we
are going to take.

Flo

[1] https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/list_of_identity_modules.html
[2]