I have been trying to install FreeIPA with integrated dns i found installing
freeipa easy without dns but anything todo with the dns portion of it exceeding
complicated. I have a internel dns server that i have been using to store all
the host names of my internel pcs and then for anything externel it would
forward to another dns server. As far as i can tell the freeipa integrated dns
is would replace this and would store all the records needed for freeipa also
as far as i can tell it would automatically create the A records and AAAA
records for the client pcs added to the domain and keep them updated.

I originally tried making the integrated dns handle the root zone i think that
is what its called where it could create records for any subdomains I read
online that this wasnt a good idea and also seemed extremely hard todo trying
this would end up in a zone overlap error. I think I need to make my registrar
point to the integrated dns for this to work.

I read some guides and it seems that people suggest to give the integrated dns
server power over its own subdomain zone I did this by creating a NS record in
my registrars dns management page but when running the command suggested in the
redhat guide to check that it works it returns nothing this is the command i am
running "dig @RegistrarsNameServerIPAddress +norecurse +short ipa.example.com.
NS" but running a normal dig will show the record.

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ipa.example.com.               IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ipa.example.com.        1799    IN      NS      ipa.example.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ipa.example.com.        1799    IN      A       MyIPAddress

When trying to install using this subdomain I get this error right at the end.
I have a feeling it is trying to add records to the integrated dns server but
its not working properly.
“Updating DNS system records
ipa         : ERROR    DNS query for ipa.example.com. 1 failed: All nameservers
failed to answer the query ipa.example.com. IN A: Server 127.0.0.1 UDP port 53
anwered SERVFAIL”

I think my main problem with this is I actually dont know how DNS delegates
subdomain nameservers it always asks for a FQDN when putting in a nameserver
but shouldnt this really be an ip address. If someone could give me and example
NS record or how they have set it up that would be great I am extremely lost
even some reading materials would be helpful all guides online just assume you
already have setup the NS record and don’t give you too much information. Also
I have replace all refrences to my domain to example.com (not actually trying
to use example.com).