Yes.  Yikes.  Karl, I already replied to your earlier thread, but
`ipa-cacert-renew` was not the right command to run.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 09:38:44AM +0000, Callum Guy via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> Ummm if I understand "man ipa-cacert-manage" correctly the it sounds like
> you have renewed the CA certificate which presumably would invalidate all
> existing certificates it has authorised.

No, it does not invalidate existing certs, unless you change the
key, CA name or (for an externally-signed CA) you chain the new CA
cert up to an untrusted superior CA.

BUT!  The notBefore time of the new CA cert will be the time of
issuance.  If you then wind the time back prior to this time, it
will mean that the service certificates are within the validity
period, but the certificate of the issuing CA is not (i.e. it is NOT
YET VALID).  This the service certs will not be accepted.

To recover from this situation you should reinstall the old CA
certificate via ipa-cacert-manage.  If you can't find a copy of that
lying around you should (for a self-signed IPA CA) be able to
retrieve it from LDAP under ou=certificateRepository,ou=ca,o=ipaca.
(Probably cn=1,ou=certificateRepository,ou=ca,o=ipaca but you should
check the subject and validity before installing it to make sure the
particulars are correct).  The attribution you want is
'userCertificate;binary'.

HTH,
Fraser