Thanks a lot for replying,
Yes, your suggestion is working. Doesn't seem that elegant though, since a partition is mounted several times. However it's practical and I can't figure out how else it could be done. From mount stats, the first two are from fstab mount and appears only on NFS server, while the third is the automount and appears on all NFS clients (NFS server included)

/dev/sdb1 on /export/data1 type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,noquota)
/dev/sdb1 on /data1 type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,noquota)
auto.direct on /data1 type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=18,pgrp=34091,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)

Thanks a lot,
Petros