The users in /etc/passwd have nothing to do with the users in IPA, you can
configure them to have the same UID / GID as the users in IPA, and you can
name them the way you want (ie, just the username without the domain
suffix). This will break in interesting ways if you need to sync updates to
the nodes (think - new users, password changes, group membership changes).
You will be better off adding the nodes to the IPA domain and using sssd to
pull the identity information from the domain. You can configure a default
domain so the users from that domain do not need a domain suffix. The
latest version of sssd also allows you to login as users from any domain
without a domain suffix in most cases, see:
https://docs.pagure.org/SSSD.sssd/design_pages/shortnames.html
Importantly, sssd provides a raft of options to tune caching identity
information, so your nodes will not actually be querying the IPA server for
every lookup.

HTH,
Jatin