I think the path that is triggered first is from the following code:

if new_cert == old_cert:
        syslog.syslog(syslog.LOG_INFO, "Updated certificate not available")

        # No cert available yet, tell certmonger to wait another 8 hours

        return (WAIT_WITH_DELAY, 8 * 60 * 60, '')

This causes the status to change to CA_WORKING for a while. Later, the
status changes to the cookie error. The old cert is still valid. So is it
supposed to get a new cert ?