Randy,

Actually, there is not much difference between a replica and a master (in
general),
you can check more details in this blog post from rcrit:
https://blog-rcritten.rhcloud.com/?p=67

About Dir. Server failing, could you share the logs?
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Administration_Guide/Configuring_Logs.html