On 08/25/2017 09:35 AM, Rob Morin via FreeIPA-users wrote:
Hello all...

FreeIPA newbie here.

I have inherited a freeipa infrastructure. It consists of 12 servers all
authign to freeipa fro ssh and some ftp. My problem is as follows;

Original master(Dunlop) is dead, there remains a replica(freeipa) that barley
works on a VM  in virtualbox on a linux server.
I am trying to setup a new freeipa server(Auth-1) to replace both of the
current freeipa servers in vmware.
SO in the current working serve(freeipa)  i run this in debug mode....

ipa.ipaserver.install.ipa_replica_prepare.ReplicaPrepare: DEBUG: The
ipa-replica-prepare command failed, exception: ScriptError: The replica must be
created on the primary IPA server.
ipa.ipaserver.install.ipa_replica_prepare.ReplicaPrepare: ERROR: The replica
must be created on the primary IPA server.
ipa.ipaserver.install.ipa_replica_prepare.ReplicaPrepare: ERROR: The
ipa-replica-prepare command failed.

So if i cannot create a replica prepare file i cannot create a new replica and
hence not migrate the current dying vm server(freeipa) to the new vmware vm.

What can i do?? I am running freeipa v4 on current replica.

I have too many servers and user to start from scratch..
Any help appreciated...

Thanks to all!

Let me get this straight, your Master (with CA) isn't pining for the fjords. Your replica (without CA) is a VirtualBox VM /on a linux server/. AFAIK, it's not possible to recreate your setup without a full replica (with CA). It also sounds to me like your replica isn't a true replica based on the error message. (Or at least hasn't been promoted to primary.)

Without that, I'm afraid, you're in for a long recreation process unless you have a backup of the primary (which, you do, right?).

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova