On 08/25/2017 11:07 AM, Rob Morin via FreeIPA-users wrote:
The master is gone, has been for a year, the server exists, but ipa was
uninstalled with ip-server-install --uninstall command... so i only have this
replica, and i assume that re-installing it on the old server would mess stuff
up?

Without a backup of the data on Master, it wouldn't mess anything up, it just wouldn't help much. It would be a new installation that hasn't been setup for use yet. That gets you nowhere, really.

I'm curious as to how/why this was setup this way. And why the master was uninstalled if the organization was still using IPA for authentication.

FWIW, if I were in your position, I'd hobble along on the replica while I spend the time and effort building an entirely new IPA infrastructure. And certainly NOT in a virtualbox VM on a linux server. It would be better in the long run rather than trying to mend this broken system and have to fight it constantly afterwards.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova