On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 02:05:56PM -0400, Anthony Clark via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> It may possibly be related to this, but this is marked as fixed for 4.3:
> https://pagure.io/freeipa/issue/5456
>
> I'm on 4.4.0-14.el7.centos.7
>
> A user had their lastname entry added with the wrong case.  I attempted to
> update it by changing the case, got an error like this:
>
> [Wed Sep 06 17:46:08.010202 2017] [:error] [pid 15253] ipa: INFO:
> [jsonserver_session] acl...@dev.redacted.net: user_mod/1(u'pboppe',
> sn=u'Boppe', version=u'2.213'): DatabaseError
>
> I changed it to something else entirely, then changed it to the correct
> case.
>
> This happened on attributes: "lastname", "fullname", "displayname",
> "initials", "gecos".  I didn't test it elsewhere.
>
> Is there a ticket already for this or should I create a new one?  I don't
> want to create work for the IPA devs :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony Clark

This is expected behaviour.  In the IETF spec for user schema, the
'sn' attribute[1], which is based on the 'name' attribute[2], uses
the `caseIgnoreMatch' equality rule.  So the LDAP server correctly
determines that there is no change to perform.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4519#section-2.32
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4519#section-2.18

Arguably we should detect this in IPA and reject the change without
contacting the database, but the failure is expected, so feel free
to file a ticket anyway.

Cheers,
Fraser