On 20 September 2017 at 13:01, Lachlan Musicman <data...@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://pagure.io/freeipa/c/bdf9a34dffdf4d7925208e5df9f69e3927b88858
> On 20 September 2017 at 12:30, Fraser Tweedale <ftwee...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Can you please provide log files?  Especially
>> /var/log/ipaupgrade.log, to begin with.
>>

> Fraser, thanks for the reply. I meant to answer my own email with the
> solution but I couldn't see it on the list?
>
> Anyway - the solution was that the /etc/hosts file on the server in
> question had a ::1 localhost address. We have the IPv6 disabled
> (combination of one of our services not working with IPv6 and our network
> not being IPv6 ready) in the OS.
>
> Once I deleted that line from /etc/hosts, everything went to plan.

Ok. By the look of this commit (to 4.5):

https://pagure.io/freeipa/c/bdf9a34dffdf4d7925208e5df9f69e3927b88858

from this issue https://pagure.io/freeipa/issue/7083

It is (or was)  the IPv6 problem.

We have an

[root@linuxidm ~]# cat /etc/sysctl.d/ipv6.conf
# Disable IPv6
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.ens160.disable_ipv6 = 1

We don't have the 'lo' interface defined in there, but it's never been an
issue.

The /etc/hosts entry for ::1 must have thrown ipa-server-upgrade.

cheers
L.

------
"The antidote to apocalypticism is *apocalyptic civics*. Apocalyptic civics
is the insistence that we cannot ignore the truth, nor should we panic
about it. It is a shared consciousness that our institutions have failed
and our ecosystem is collapsing, yet we are still here — and we are
creative agents who can shape our destinies. Apocalyptic civics is the
conviction that the only way out is through, and the only way through is
together. "

*Greg Bloom* @greggish
https://twitter.com/greggish/status/873177525903609857