I'd like to set up a new FreeIPA instance with DNS, and I'd like to
use a zone that already exists.  My intention is to configure the ipa
server, then delete the existing DNS zone and point NS records for
that zone toward the ipa server.

ipa-server-install fails when the domain given by --domain already
exists.  Can I instruct the setup process to skip that check?

If not, then presumably the hostname of the ipa server must not be a
member of the zone given by --domain?  I'd prefer for its hostname to
be a member of that zone, but the hostname must resolve during setup.
That's not possible if the hostname is a child of the domain given by
--domain, and that domain can't already exist.