On 09/26/2017 01:01 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:

Start with
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/SSSD-Troubleshooting.html

A System Error often points to HBAC denying the access.

rob

Thanks for that, but I figured it out.  This is why, when you are working on troubleshooting something you either undo things or document it.

Turns out that the issue is that Kerberos (or sssd) dumps files to /tmp when authenticating.  When I mentioned this problem to an engineer here, who has worked here almost 2 decades, he told me he recalls a former coworker was working on a problem on that server and set /tmp to read only.  That was more than 2 years ago. Remounting /tmp to RW fixed the problem.

And this is why you document EVERYTHING, kids.  Geez.  Apologies for the lengthy spam post.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova