Progress, but still not using the smartcard and falling back to the
password.

I changed to change the pam_sss line in common-auth too:

auth    [default=1 success=ok]          pam_localuser.so
auth [success=2 default=ignore] pam_unix.so nullok_secure
#auth [success=1 default=ignore] pam_sss.so use_first_pass
auth    sufficient                      pam_sss.so forward_pass

Now p11_child is called, but doesn't validate the certificate.  On Fedora
the final line in p11_child.log is "Ceritificate verified and validated".
On Ubuntu that line is missing.

The root certificate is in the certdb.  (certutil -d /etc/pki/nssdb -L).

Is there a way to do what p11_child does from the command line or with
better logging so I can what it doesn't like?  I have debug_level = 9 on
everything at the moment.

Thanks,
Steve