Hello,

to prevent such situation is to prevent installing new packages.
FreeIPA cannot prevent it but yum can.

You can use `yum version-lock` in package yum-plugin-versionlock

HTH

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Charles Hedrick via FreeIPA-users
<freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> wrote:
> I just installed a new replica on Centos 7.3. Our existing servers are also
> on Centos 7.3, and use IPA 4.4, which comes with Centos 7.3. I was somewhat
> surprised to find that my new replica was IPA 4.5 with a newer version of
> sssd as well. It appears that the replica install process did the Centos 7.4
> upgrades for ipa and sssd, though the rest of the system is still Cento 7.3.
> The resulting system works, with only minor differences in behavior in sssd.
> But it was unexpected.
>
> We’ll do a full Centos 7.4 upgrade at the next major break, but had been
> holding off doing that during a semester.
>
> It’s moderately important to me not to get unexpected versions of software. I
> didn’t even notice the difference until the replica was in production. In a
> sense that’s good, because it means 4.5 works fine. But we could also have
> discovered it that hard way …

Petr Vobornik

Associate Manager, Engineering, Identity Management
Red Hat