Hey,

As described by Alexander in [1], Samba on Ubuntu 16.04 is built against
Heimdal,
and that conflicts with FreeIPA (which requires MIT Kerberos).

We have a network with Ubuntu 16.04 servers, and Ubuntu 16.04 workstations,
and some Windows PCs. So far I was unable to configure the samba server to
use the IPA server for authentication (again, see [1]).

So, what are my options Ubuntu 16.04 / Samba / FreeIPA / Windows PCs?

I was thinking to setup a Fedora or Centos server (with samba), but I have no
clue
if that path will lead to a working solution.

Another alternative, maybe, is to use LDAP, but I'm afraid to screw my nicely
working
IPA server. There is this guide [2], but I've already done ipa-adtrust-install
and I think
there is now already some LDAP scheme added for samba. (Not sure though)

Any thoughts?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/1552249
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/samba-ldap.html
--